The INSTITUTE OF OLIVE TREE, SUBTROPICAL CROPS and VITICULTURE, (IOSV) of the Hellenic Agricultural Organization "DEMETER" operates three individual Chemical Laboratories located in the cities of Chania, Kalamata and Mitilini that are specialized in the area of "Fats and Oils".
The three laboratories provide accredited Olive oil testing analysis. They are hiqh-tech equipped with the necessary and up to date analytical instruments, such as spectrophotometer, gas and HPLC chromatographic systems, atomic absorption spectrometry and general laboratory equipment. The well-qualified scientific staff conducts a wide range of chemical analysis according to the European Commission Regulation EEC 2568/91 as well as many other chemical protocols based on the Codex Allimentarius and the International Olive Oil Council.
The Laboratories have achieved accreditation as testing laboratories according to ISO/IEC 17025:2005 so as to guarantee the generation of precise and accurate analytical data as well as to provide worldwide recognized chemical reports. In addition to analytical services, the Laboratories provide, with the scientific support of the IOSV researchers, technical assistance in the areas of growing, cultivation and olive oil extraction.
List of the chemical testing analysis:
- Determination of free fatty acids
- Determination of peroxide value
- Determination of water according to Carl Fischer method
- Determination of moisture and volatile matter
- Chemical investigation in the ultraviolet
- Determination of phenols
- Determination of the percentage of 1,2 Diglycerides
- Determination of fatty acids and trans fatty acids
- Determination of sterols, erythodiol and uvaol
- Determination of stigmastadienes
- Determination of waxes and alkyl esters
- Determination of aliphatic alcohols
- Determination of halogenated solvents
- Determination of the percentage of 2-monopalmitate
- Determination of trace metals (Iron, Copper)
- Determination of phthalates esters
- Determination of pesticide residues
In addition to the chemical testing analysis, in each laboratory operates a trained and accredited sensory panel to assess organoleptic quality criteria of virgin olive oil.
Sampling and preparation
Sample Amount: Submit 200 ml for chemical testing and 500ml for organoleptic assessment of virgin olive oil.