Where to find us
Olive Oil Laboratory of Mytilene is located in the area of Kato Tritos (island of Lesvos), in the heart of 90 acres olive grove. The building has been completely renovated to provide suitable rooms (350 m2) for conducting olive oil analysis.
The laboratory is equipped with state of the art equipment and instrumentation which is used by highly qualified staff, ensuring the accuracy and reliability of measurements.
Our Olive Oil Laboratory includes:
- Gas chromatograph with mass spectrometry system GC/MS with split/splitless inlet, on column injector and Flame Ionization Detector (FID)
- Gas chromatograph with 2 autosamplers and injectors, 2 split/splitless inlets, Nitrogen Phosphorous Detector (NPD) and Flame Photometric Detector (FPD)
- Gas chromatograph with headspace autosampler and Electron Capture Detector (ECD)
- Gas chromatograph with 2 autosamplers and injectors (one on column), 2 split/splitless inlets, and two Flame Ionization Detectors (FID)
- Gas chromatograph with 2 autosamplers and injectors, 2 split/splitless inlets, and two Flame Ionization Detectors (FID)
- High Performance Liquid Chromatography (HPLC) system with Refractive Index Detector (RID)
- Double beam Ultraviolet-Visible(UV-Vis) spectrophotometer
- Karl Fischer titrator for water determination
- Basic lab equipment
Our chemical testing Laboratory also has an accredited (due to EN ISO 17025: 2005) organoleptic (sensory) panel consisting of 17 well trained tasters. Based on the detection of certain negative attributes as well as the measurement of the intensity of three positive attributes (fruitiness, bitterness and pungency), the organoleptic assessment leads to the "classification" of olive oil from a sensory point of view. Organoleptic testing takes place in individual booths in "organoleptic assessment room", with all the necessary accessories required by the taster to perform his task properly (heating devices for the olive oil samples, suitable "balloon"’ glasses.)